Thursday, April 30, 2009

Interesting book

I found this book at an end-of-lease sale at a local bookstore, and thought it looked interesting. Written by a British foodie, it discusses traditional British dishes, and compares them with modern styles. I found it an interesting and chatty, and there are some recipes there that I am interested in making, including a recipe for catsup.
Some of the recipes, especially one like sooan scones, are all but impossible to replicate, since they require an ingredient that is specific to a region. (To make sooan (or sowan, according to Wikipedia) you take the husks of the black oats, a low-producing but highly nutritious, variety grown in Orkney, and soak them in water until they ferment. The liquid is now sooan.)

For anyone interested in traditional foods, or just food in general, this is a very interesting read. If you're interested, you can purchase it from the Book Depository. (FYI - I get nothing from this. I just like them as they have free delivery, and that's important when you live in Australia.) And for more interesting information about traditional foods, check out Fight Back Friday on the Food Renegade blog.
Soon I'll discuss the cookbooks that I actually use. There's a whole 3 of them.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. What an interesting looking book. It totally appeals to me.

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    All the best,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete