Monday, May 4, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Well, the last couple of days have been a little different - we ended up going to Mum's for a big dinner there to celebrate her and her twin's birthday, and also to meet my brother's new girlfriend. Apparently I have met her before, but I really don't remember. Anyway, my previous plan didn't go to ... er ... plan. But we move on!
Laura, from I'm an Organizing Junkie asked how do people select new recipes. Well, I usually just stick to stuff I know when it comes to main meals, but I have been branching out. This is a list of what I look for in a new recipe.

  • Is it something that I know of, ie, something that I might have tasted elsewhere, and been impressed by?
  • If I don't know what it is, does it at least sound workable/interesting?
  • I'm not scared of long lists of ingredients, provided they're not obscure/expensive. In fact, I tend to steer clear of recipes only utilising 2-4 ingredients, unless I can see that they will work, and be tasty. I don't use cream-of-something soups, for example.
  • I'm also not concerned about recipes that may take a long time, as I already try to allow an hour for cooking dinner, as my own recipes usually require simmering time. I may just have to start it while doing something else.
  • I don't use shellfish, pork (I do use bacon) or otherwise expensive meats, but if I think I can substitute meats that I can use, I will try the recipe.
  • I don't deep-fry, but I will saute or shallow fry, so that changes what I will do.

So that's how I generally go about choosing recipes. Now onto my plan for the week.

Menu Plan from Tuesday 5th May, 2009

Tuesday - Spaghetti Bolognese
Wednesday - Chicken Normandy
Thursday - Lasagna
Friday - Tuna Casserole
Saturday - Meatball Parmigiana
Sunday - Chicken in Mustard Cream
Monday - Savoury Mince

I will start adding links to my recipes from where I post them at Scribd. In the meantime, you should be able to click on the button to the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment